Company: Electra Aero
Location: Manassas, VA 20110
From revolutionizing air travel with our sustainable eSTOL aircraft, to tackling critical climate science missions with our solar-powered stratospheric UAS, Electra builds airplanes that make sense. Our world-class team of engineers isn’t afraid to disrupt the status quo and we plan to change the world with modern ideas that challenge conventional thinking. Electra is a new aerospace company headquartered in Northern Virginia and we're on a quest to build a team of insanely talented people who want to do meaningful work.
Electra is actively recruiting a Principal Electrical Engineer to lead the design and development of high-voltage and low-voltage electrical systems for our 9-passenger eSTOL (electric short takeoff and landing), hybrid-electric aircraft. This position focuses on design, prototyping, integration, and testing and as such is based in Manassas, Virginia.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Lead the design, analysis, integration, and testing of electrical systems for our hybrid-electric aircraft. This role has the potential to support the development of a number of aircraft electric systems and equipment, including avionics, power distribution (low voltage and high voltage), power electronics, electrical energy storage, and electric machines.
- Understand program objectives and requirements to conduct trade studies and define architectures, requirements, and interfaces between systems.
- Develop and manage requirements for the electrical systems and equipment, compatible with the program-level safety, performance, certification, and business objectives.
- Support the evaluation and selection of electrical equipment suppliers. Provide subject matter expert review and oversight throughout the development process.
- Prepare and present gated design reviews to demonstrate the adequacy of the design.
- Manage and provide hands-on support for electrical system integration and test activities.
- Collaborate with program management, other IPTs, and functional groups to accomplish team goals.
- Other Duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Required Skills
- Experience in the development of aerospace electrical systems, hybrid-electric propulsion and/or avionics systems.
- Proficient with general-purpose test and build equipment/tools (oscilloscope, multimeter, soldering iron).
- A strong work ethic and ability to independently meet and lead the areas described in the responsibilities and essential functions.
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
- Ability to adapt well to change.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, aerospace, or a related field; and
- 12+ year of experience in relevant discipline areas or an equivalent combination of education, skills and experience.
Additional Desired Skills:
- Master’s or PhD degree in relevant engineering discipline strongly desired.
- Expertise in the area of high power hybrid-electric and/or fully electric propulsion systems and power electronics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs), certification procedures (especially Part 23), and relevant industry standards.
- Experience with implementing and troubleshooting digital communications architectures (i.e. RS422, CAN, Ethernet, and ARINC429).
- Experience with grounding schemes for large and complex electrical systems.
- US Person (Citizen or Green Card) Preferred
- Work is typically performed in a warehouse/aviation and office environment which requires proper safety precautions. May need to lift up to 50 lbs.
Location: Headquarters in Manassas, VA. To encourage close collaboration this position is 3-4 days in the office, with some virtual work allowed.
Travel: <25%< p>
Electra is committed to a work environment that is inclusive to all and free of discrimination. It is our policy to be an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, veteran status, citizenship status, or any other factors prohibited by law. Electra will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals.
Additionally, as part of our commitment to health and safety, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Electra offers a reasonable accommodation process for individuals who are unable to meet our vaccination requirement due to a disability, medical condition, or sincerely held religious belief.
Job Type: Full-time