Company: GE Renewable Energy
Salary: $108,600 - $181,000 a year
Location: 1 River Road, Schenectady, NY 12305
Job Description SummaryThe Senior Grid Integration Applications Engineer provides essential support for customer proposals and orders. As a member of the Electrical Systems team, you will lead project specific power system evaluations and configure turbine / wind farm control solutions to adapt to site specific requirements. You will interact regularly with customers, commercial, sales teams, project engineers and services teams to provide the wide range of technical information required to permit, install and support wind farms in North America.
GE’s Onshore Wind business has a total installed base of more than 50,000 wind turbines in more than 35 counties, with 100+ GW of global installed capacity. We harness increased onshore wind energy potential through a broad family of turbines that are uniquely suited for a variety of wind environments, including Cypress, GE’s most powerful onshore wind turbine, and GE’s 2MW platform, which has more than 20GW installed and in operation today. We are committed to our customers’ success in wind, offering a broad portfolio of products and services that make renewables the energy of choice for a cleaner future.
As the Grid Integration Engineer, you will:
- Configure grid electrical simulation models of turbines and wind farms, and work with customers and grid operators to apply those models to system integration and connection studies, including for existing sites and Services programs including RePower and PowerUp
- Simulate converter, turbine and plant level controls/ interactions to evaluate project specific grid requirements
- Translate grid connection requirements into product capability specifications for new unit and services products
- Work with the commercial team to assess scope and risk with respect to grid code compliance (division of responsibility between GE and the customer)
- Support customers and Sales in answering questions and resolving grid code concerns for wind farm proposals and orders
- Support customers’ grid acceptance tests and issue resolution with grid authorities, utilities, TSOs and ISOs, including developing plant-level control settings
- Develop depth and expertise in wind turbine capabilities, especially existing products, and their interaction with the electrical Balance of Plant, Distribution and Transmission systems
- Identify opportunities to influence grid code requirements, and to improve GE’s products and documentation, including Grid Interconnection documents for NPI and Services programs, based on grid requirements and trends
- Work closely with NPI and Services electrical design engineering to understand new product offerings and assess risks of not complying with grid code requirements
- Lead efforts to support customers with grid code compliance for existing sites including NERC and other grid authority requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university or a Bachelors Degree in a related field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Renewable Energy or related industries.
- Available to travel up to 10% of time
- Experience in the renewable energy industry
- Experience in wind turbine electrical systems
- Experience in controls or component-level power conversion equipment
- Experience applying grid code requirements for power plants or wind farms
- Experience in power system, harmonics and grid stability studies by using PSS/E®, PSLF® and PSCAD®
- Experience providing technical support to sales, commercial and marketing functions
- Strong organizational skills, and a proven ability to manage multiple high priority tasks.
- Demonstrated leadership and project management skills
- Master’s Degree or equivalent Advanced Degree from an accredited college or university
- English fluency.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience in generating and delivering customer-facing technical documents & presentations
- Demonstrated willingness to take on team deliverables personally
- Strong influencing and team building skills
- Ability and willingness to accept challenges outside of technical expertise / comfort zone
- Global experience with proven ability to work with international teams
The salary range for this position is $108,600 - $181,000. The specific salary offered to a candidate may be influenced by a variety of factors including the candidate’s experience, their education, and the work location. In addition, this position is eligible for variable incentive compensation (15%) Available Health and Welfare benefits include, Prescription drug, dental and vision coverage; saving account options (such as a Health Care Flexible Savings Account, Health Reimbursement Account, Limited Purpose Flexible Spending Account, and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account); and an employee assistance program. Additional Benefits include a defined contribution 401(k) plan, employee life insurance, optional dependent life insurance, employee accidental death or dismemberment insurance coverage, short-disability, optional long-term disability, pre-tax transportation/commuter program, paid holidays, paid time off, parental leave, a layoff plan for salaried employees, tuition refund program, use of CareLoop, adoption assistance, optional identity theft prevention insurance, optional person legal assistance, and optional personal excess liability insurance.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes
Job Type: Full-time
Company Description: There has never been a more exciting time to work in renewable energy. Nor a more vital one. GE Renewable Energy’s advanced technology harnesses the earth’s most abundant natural resources – the strength of the wind, the heat of the sun, and the force of the water – delivering green energy to people in the world’s biggest economies and most remote communities. We see the promise of renewable energy everywhere. And we have the curiosity, passion, diversity, and focus to realize this promise. Together with our customers, we’re proving that no one ever has to choose between, affordable, reliable, accessible, or sustainable energy. The energy transition is challenging, and it will take all of us to get there. We are delivering change for good by relentlessly improving the efficiency and effectiveness of our operations, as we fight to lower the cost of renewable energy. We believe in the strength that different identities, perspectives, and backgrounds bring to our mission. Our values are built on equality and inclusiveness. We want every individual to feel they belong and can make their mark by delivering energy wherever and however the world needs it. We are Unleashing Limitless Energy. GE Renewable Energy is a $15 billion business which combines one of the broadest portfolios in the renewable energy industry to provide end-to-end solutions for our customers demanding reliable and affordable green power. Combining onshore and offshore wind, blades, hydro, storage, and grid solutions as well as hybrid renewables and digital services offerings, GE Renewable Energy has installed more than 400+ gigawatts of clean renewable energy and equipped more than 90 percent of utilities worldwide with its grid solutions. With nearly 40,000 employees present in more than 80 countries, GE Renewable Energy creates value for customers seeking to power the world with affordable, reliable and sustainable green electrons.